PRINT UPDATES

Albino Accord V2: Where's the black colorway? And other fabric misadventures

(APOLOGIES IN ADVANCE FOR THE LONG WINDEDNESS OF THIS POST, BUT YOU GUYS DESERVE TO KNOW WTF IS GOING ON.)

I've been planning on doing a re-release of Albino Accord since sometime late last summer. In addition to re-releasing it, I also wanted to redesign it and perhaps print it on a different fabric. So that's what I did. Honestly, I'm always looking back at my old designs and seeing how I can improve things and I'm always challenging myself to do better.
I wanted a totally different look for this re-print - more delicate and ethereal. I wanted to do something light-weight and easy/breezy for the warmer weather. I love voile and lightweight cotton fabrics, and so that's what I ordered.
Last year.
I can't remember if it was right before or after I moved, but it was around that time. I looked at it briefly when I got it, but started to stress out and panic so I put it away for months until it was time to work on it.

Honestly I was feeling really anxious and stressed out about the whole thing. Albino Accord was extremely popular, and I felt I had huge expectations to live up to and didn't want to disappoint. But I also needed to redesign the dresses for my own sanity. I could not sew another one of those dresses from the first release. KILL ME PLEASE.


I really wanted to re-release this thing earlier this year - like in February or something. But of course I was hit with a HUGE bought of several-month-long depression and I kept putting it off and trying not to think about it. 

When I finally dug the fabric out like a month ago and actually for real set to work on this thing, I noticed... things. I noticed the quality of the print. I noticed how the black and grey colorways were stiff and smelled strongly of ink. I noticed how abhorrently off the colors were. I was upset. The black colorway was so thick with ink that it rubbed off onto my fingers while I was looking at it. There was no way I could sew with it, let alone actually sell dresses made with this stuff. But trying to take matters into my own hands, I decided to throw it into the washer for a light cycle to maybe help set the ink/get rid of any excess.
LOL.
Get rid of excess it did.
The fabric was completely ruined - the black was completely faded and had stained the lighter parts of the print as well. It was awful.
It was at this point that I finally contacted my printer to ask why things had printed in the way they had and why the ink wasn't at least colorfast.
The answer I got back in short was... their printers just aren't good with the cotton voile and suggested a few other fabrics to me that they feel print better.
At this point I had already sewn at least one of the dresses in the voile, and there was no way I was simply going to slap down another few hundred more dollars to get all this reprinted, wait around for another two weeks, and get even further into the year without releasing this.
So I decided to just go ahead with what I had and eventually figure out a solution.
(*THIS IS WHY I DON'T HAVE A BLACK COLORWAY AS OF NOW. I WASN'T SURE AT THIS POINT WHAT I WAS GOING TO DO, SO I DECIDED TO CUT THE BLACK COLORWAY FOR THE TIME BEING AND WENT AHEAD WITH MAKING THE SAMPLES IN THE USABLE FABRIC I HAD.)

And that's where we are now. I decided that instead of the voile, I'm going to be printing on chiffon again. The chiffon we used for Eat Your Heart Out was so gorgeous and soft, I figure it can't go wrong. And it'll have the same sheer/lightweight properties of the voile that I just love so much. 

I've ordered some samples in the chiffon and should have them later this week. So now, we wait. I should have them RIGHT before reservations open, and I will upload photos comparing everything as soon as I can. AND THE BLACK COLORWAY WILL PROBABLY BE COMING BACK AFTER ALL.

OH. And the same thing happened with the fabric for the Fox Tote too - the fabric was so thick with ink and already smearing just being out of the mail packaging. I also decided to throw this into the wash with the black colorway, and this was ruined even more thoroughly. Luckily in contacting the printer, they not only replaced it free of charge, but printed on a higher quality fabric (that I didn't even know they printed on) that's simply gorgeous in person. So at least there's one happy ending to this story.

It seems that I always have issues with fabric printing/colors being weird/things taking longer than expected, and I sincerely apologize for this. The confusion and unprofessionalism it conveys on my part is not lost on me. But I guess being with my 3rd printer in 5 years of doing this will no doubt bring about unforeseen issues. 
C'est la vie. Or whatever.